BAMF - Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge - integrationskurse

Navigation and service

to welcome page

Putting people first: providing security, creating opportunities, embracing change

List of FAQs for the area Integration courses

How much does it cost to take the exam?

The final examination is free of charge.

What can I do if I am not satisfied with the integration course provider?

First, you should speak to the integration course provider about this. If the situation still does not change, you can contact the Federal Office. The final option is to change your course provider at the end of the course module and attend a different course. You will receive a certificate from the first course provider stating which lessons you have attended.

Why are there different types of courses ?

There are special courses for specific groups of people. Therefore, in addition to the general integration course which is aimed at all immigrants, there are also courses for people who cannot read and write well, or at all, and courses for women, parents and young people. Also there are intensive courses and support courses.

Find out more about the courses here.

How should I best prepare for the examination?

It is important to take all the practice tests during the integration course. You can also practice at home using the practice CD. You should also make every effort to speak German at home and with friends so that you do not forget what you have learned.

What happens if I find a job and then do not have the time to come to the course any more?

If your attendance at an integration course was compulsory, please contact the office responsible for you. Otherwise you should speak to your course provider and try to swap to a part-time course (an evening or weekend course). If all efforts to prevent you from having to stop attending the course have been unsuccessful, you may leave once the course module has been completed.

Am I eligible to attend an integration course?

To find out, please read the text that follows.

Can I choose an integration course provider?

Yes, you can choose an integration course provider for yourself. You will find a suitable course provider in your region by using our search engine Web-Gis.

What is the idea behind a nationwide integration course?

This programme includes the most important issues and guidelines for integration courses, for example, the structure of courses, their content and the teaching materials.

Who carries out the integration courses and who teaches them?

Private and public language schools which are accredited by the Federal Office implement the courses. To be accredited as an integration course provider by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees, institutions must fulfil specific requirements and quality standards.

The integration course attendees are taught by specialist teaching staff. The members of staff must also be accredited by the Federal Office and must have specific qualifications.

Is there a contact point for citizens who have general questions about integration courses?

Yes, you can contact the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees, which co-ordinates integration courses. The Information Service can be contacted by telephone on 0911 - 943 6390 or by e-mail on contact form.

Are all immigrants eligible to attend an integration course?

There are many factors which determine if someone has a legal right to attend an integration course, for example, the date of entry to the country and their residence status. More detailed information is available here. <Link zur Seite „Teilnehmer“>

What is an integration course?

Anyone from a foreign country who wishes to live in Germany as a fellow citizen should be able to speak German. This is important to find work, fill in forms or simply to meet new people. In addition, foreigners should know certain things about the country in which they live. These include history, culture and the legal system. All this and more is taught on the integration course. You can find further information about the integration course here.

Where and how can I find an integration course?

If you are looking for an integration course, you can either enquire at the initial advisory services for immigrants or at local immigration offices or ask the integration course providers themselves.

The Web-Gis interactive search engine is also available.

What happens if I do not turn up for classes for a few days?

There is a risk that you will not pass the final test. There may also be legal and financial consequences for you if you have been required to attend and do not attend classes regularly. You will be required to pay your contribution to costs for the missed days even if you have not attended the classes.

Who teaches the integration course?

Only teachers who have been specially trained may teach on integration courses. They are accredited by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.

Why do I need to take an examination at the end of the integration course?

If you pass the final examination, you will be awarded the “Zertifkat Deutsch”. This is an internationally recognised language examination. It will help you, for example, to get a job and is useful if you would like to obtain a permanent settlement permit.

Who is responsible for accrediting integration course providers?

Please contact the regional office responsible for you. The location of your institution determines which regional office is responsible for you. A list of regional offices can be found here.

How do I register for a course?

When you have received your certificate of eligibility you can go to an integration course provider. The course provider will do everything necessary and help you to fill in the necessary forms.

You can use the Web-Gis search engine to find integration providers in your area.

As a teacher, where can I acquire an additional qualification?

Additional qualifications can only be gained from accredited institutions. Find out more on this topic here.

Who is responsible for accrediting teaching staff on integration courses?

Department 322 at the headquarters of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees. Find out more about the accreditation process here.

Are there special types of integration course?

In addition to the general integration course, there are special courses designed for women, parents and young people and also for immigrants with literacy needs.

There is also the option of setting up support courses. These are intended for attendees who require a high level of support in language learning and need more time to achieve the objective of the course.

Integration courses for the specified special target groups comprise up to 900 hours of lessons on the language course and 45 hours of lessons on the orientation course. If an attendee does not achieve the course objective, he can repeat 300 hours.

Intensive courses are also available. These are suitable for attendees who wish and are able to achieve the course objective particularly quickly. An intensive course comprises 400 hours of lessons on the language course and 30 hours of lessons on the orientation course.

How long does a course for women last?

A course for women lasts for a maximum of 20 lessons (of 60 minutes each) over a period of a month. Every woman may attend five courses.

Can immigrants be made to attend an integration course?

Foreigners who received a residence title after 1 January 2005 (new immigrants) must attend an integration course if they cannot make themselves understood in simple or adequate German (depending on their residence title).

Recipients of unemployment benefit II can also be required to attend a course. Other immigrants may also be required to attend a course if they have special integration needs. For example, this may apply if a foreigner is responsible for caring for a minor living in Germany and cannot make her or himself understood in simple German, with the result that he or she has not been able to integrate into German society.

Ethnic German repatriates, German nationals and citizens of the European Union cannot be obliged to attend a course.

More detailed information on this subject can be found here.

What happens if I do not pay my contribution towards the costs of the integration course?

You must pay a contribution towards costs of 1.95 euros per lesson at the beginning of each course module. The course provider can refuse to accept you on the course until you pay.

Can I attend another integration course and who will pay for it?

If you have already attended an integration course and have taken part in accordance with the rules but you did not attain language level B1 in the final test, you can apply to repeat the follow-on language course (300 hours). To do this, once again you must pay 1.95 euros per lesson, if you are not exempt from contributing towards the cost.

Please note that to repeat the follow-on language course you must have already attended all lessons on the integration course and have attained a minimum of language level A2 in the language examination. If you have not yet attended all the lessons (for example, because you began with a later module), you should consider carefully if you would like to take the language examination. If you do not pass it, you will not have fulfilled the conditions to retake the follow-on language course. In order to be permitted to retake it, you would then have to attend the uncompleted lessons and then take the language examination again, which you would have to pay for yourself.

How much does an integration course cost and who pays?

Generally, one lesson costs 1.95 euros. How much of this amount must be paid by the attendee depends on various factors. Detailed information on this subject can be found here.

Will travel costs to the integration course be reimbursed?

On application, you will be granted a travel allowance if you have filed an application for exemption from the integration course fee which has been approved by the Federal Office, if you have been obliged to attend by the institution providing basic security for job seekers or by the institution providing benefits in accordance with the Asylum Seeker Benefits Act, or if you are a repatriate and furnish evidence that you are in financial need.

Please note that a travel allowance can only be granted if the distance between your home and the establishment where the course takes place is at least 3.0 km.

Please contact the establishment staging your organisation course or the Migration Information Service at the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees, if you have any questions on the subject of travel costs.

© 2018 Copyright by Federal Office for Migration and Refugees. All rights reserved.