BAMF - Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge - Citizens of third countries

Navigation and service

to welcome page

Putting people first: providing security, creating opportunities, embracing change

Citizens of third countries

If you are a citizen of a "third country", that is you are neither a national of a Member State of the European Union nor of the European Economic Area or of Switzerland, and would like to remain in Germany permanently, you therefore need a permit, the "residence title" (see brochure entitled "Studying and Working in Germany", pages 7 et seqq.).

If you would like to work in Germany, you need a residence title which permits you to work, that is a residence title for the purpose of employment (these titles are listed in sections 18-21 of the Residence Act [Aufenthaltsgesetz - AufenthG]). You will find detailed information in the information box in the right-hand column on the rules relating to entering Germany, if you are still abroad, or on the steps that you need to take if you are already in Germany. In order to obtain a residence title, you need first and foremost to satisfy general preconditions. This means amongst other things that you need to have a passport and a secure livelihood during your stay, and no valid grounds for deportation may apply. The purpose of your intended stay and your training as well as your specific qualifications determine exactly which residence title you qualify for.

Date 23 May 2013

© 2018 Copyright by Federal Office for Migration and Refugees. All rights reserved.