BAMF - Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge - Income and taxes

Navigation and service

to welcome page

Putting people first: providing security, creating opportunities, embracing change

Income and taxes

Your income is subject to taxation in Germany.

How you pay tax depends on whether you are employed by somebody else or self-employed.

If you are an employee, your employer will transfer the net amount of your income to your bank account. This means that your employer has already deducted amounts to cover pension insurance, health insurance, unemployment insurance and long-term care insurance from your salary and paid these directly on your behalf. In addition, income tax, the solidarity levy and church tax, if applicable, will already have been paid to the tax office.

If you are self-employed, you must arrange to pay tax on your income yourself.

display as address: Information available locally

You can obtain further information in your area from:

  • the local income tax association,
  • the tax office.
Date 17 December 2015

© 2019 Copyright by Federal Office for Migration and Refugees. All rights reserved.