BAMF - Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge - Financial protection in the case of unemployment

Navigation and service

to welcome page

Putting people first: providing security, creating opportunities, embracing change

Financial protection in the case of unemployment

Unemployment insurance

Anyone who becomes unemployed through no fault of their own is not left to manage alone but receives support from the State. You will however not only receive financial support. You also have the option of using the placement services of the Federal Employment Agency to look for a job. If necessary, you can attend vocational integration measures (such as basic and further training) and receive the appropriate financial support for this.

Unemployment benefit

If you lose your job and have been employed and subject to compulsory insurance for at least twelve months previously, you can apply for unemployment benefit. The Federal Employment Agency will check whether you are eligible. You will receive unemployment benefit for a maximum of twelve months. If you are more than 55 years old you will receive it for a maximum of 18 months, and if you are 58 years old or older you will receive it for a maximum of 24 months.

display as attention: Deadlines

You must report in person to the employment agency no later than three months before becoming unemployed and notify the agency that you are looking for work. If you do not report to the agency in good time, your unemployment benefit may be blocked for a certain period. If you are unable to adhere to this deadline because you only learn at short notice that you are going to lose your job, you must report to the Agency by no later than the third day following the day on which you are told that your contract is to be terminated.

Unemployment benefit II

Anyone who is unemployed for a prolonged period of time is also entitled to support. Everyone who can work but has not been able to find work for a long time is entitled to receive unemployment benefit II (Arbeitslosengeld II ). People who do not earn enough to support themselves and their dependants who live with them also receive this type of state support. Unemployment benefit II will be paid to you as long as you are unemployed and your income is insufficient to ensure your livelihood.

Further information about unemployment benefit II and the precise regulations can be obtained from the Federal Agency for Employment, amongst other sources. Staff at the Migration Advisory Service for Adult Immigrants will also be pleased to assist.

display as address: Information available locally

You can obtain further information in your area from:

  • the Migration Advisory Service for Adult Immigrants and the Youth Advisory Service
  • the employment agency and job centre
Date 17 December 2015

© 2019 Copyright by Federal Office for Migration and Refugees. All rights reserved.