BAMF - Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge - Adult education

Navigation and service

to welcome page

Focusing on people - offering security. Creating opportunities. Living change.

Adult education

There are many options in Germany that allow you to continue to train after leaving school, vocational training or university. You can attend adult education courses to obtain general or school-leaving qualifications. There are day-time and evening courses, and you can even do your lessons from home (for example as part of a distance-learning course with a college or university).

The Federal Employment Agency is an important port of call when it comes to your professional further education. You can also find further education and training institutions in the telephone book and in the Yellow Pages.

Possible options include:

  • further education courses
  • language courses
  • work placements
  • special integration courses for young adults.

The Adult Education Centres (Volkshochschulen) offer a broad range of courses all over Germany, from courses in languages and computer skills to programmes on health-related issues.

display as hint: Tip

Every local Adult Education Centre publishes its own programme. Find out directly from the Centre about the programmes it offers.

display as address: Information available locally

You can obtain further information in your area from:

  • the employment agency
  • Adult Education Centres
  • training and continuing education institutions
  • the Migration Advisory Service for Adult Immigrants.
Date 17 December 2015

© 2018 Copyright by Federal Office for Migration and Refugees. All rights reserved.

Wichtige Mitteilung


There have been several occasions very recently in which people have pretended to be employees of the Federal Office and asked for an interview at which they questioned asylum applicants intensively. This took place in some cases on the pretext that a second hearing was allegedly needed. Important: The Federal Office does not conduct home visits! These individuals do not work for the Federal Office. The Federal Office has therefore filed criminal charges. If something similar happens to you, or if you observe anything of this nature as a carer, please report this to your local police station.

Fraud Phone Calls