BAMF - Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge - Advice for adults

Navigation and service

to welcome page

Putting people first: providing security, creating opportunities, embracing change

Advice for adults

How can I find work? Where can I learn German? Where can I find childcare facilities for my children? Many things may seem strange to you in the first weeks and months in Germany. Things that you could completely take for granted and found simple in your country of origin may work by different rules here.

Migration Advice Service for Adult Immigrants (MBE)

The Migration Advice Service for Adult Immigrants (MBE) will help you to feel at home in Germany.

Even if you have been living in Germany for a while, the advisers can help you solve your problems. They will support you from your first day in Germany and can advise you in relation to:

  • learning German (for instance: Where can I learn German? Do I have to pay for the course myself?),
  • school and work (for instance: Will my qualifications be recognised? How and where can I find work?),
  • housing (for instance: How do I find accommodation? How much does accommodation cost?),
  • health (for instance: Do I need health insurance? Which doctor can I consult?),
  • marriage, family and raising children (for instance: Who will help me during pregnancy? Who will advise me if I have problems in my marriage?).

Solving problems together

The advisors also understand the language of your country of origin in most cases and are familiar with the problems and challenges which settling into life in Germany may entail. You can talk to them in person, and then work together on a plan to help you feel at home in everyday life in Germany after only a short time.

Your skills and knowledge form the focus of the advisory session. You will find out about the support programmes available and where you can learn German. The advisors also check whether you are eligible to attend state-subsidised integration courses or can benefit from other local integration schemes.

display as attention: Note

Migration advice for adult immigrants is free of charge for you at all times.

Who offers migration advice?

There are migration advice services in many towns and cities in Germany. The following organisations offer free migration advice:

  • the Workers' Welfare Association (Arbeiterwohlfahrt)
  • the German Caritas Association
  • the Diakonisches Werk der Evangelischen Kirchen in Deutschland (the social welfare organisation of Germany's Protestant churches)
  • the German Equal Participation Welfare Association (Deutscher Paritätischer Wohlfahrtsverband)
  • the the German Red Cross (Deutsches Rotes Kreuz)
  • the Central Welfare Agency of the Jews in Germany (Zentralwohlfahrtsstelle der Juden in Deutschland)
  • the Federation of Expellees (Bund der Vertriebenen).

display as hint: Tip

Use the Web-GIS information system to find an advisory service near you.

display as attention: Information available locally

You can obtain further information in your area from:

  • the Migration Advisory Service for Adult Immigrants and the Youth Advisory Service
  • the immigration authority
  • a transitional hostel
  • the municipal, city or district administration
  • friends, family and neighbours
  • employers
  • associations
Date 6 April 2018

Additional Information

Migrationsberatung für erwachsene Zuwanderer

Ein aus zwei Linien dargestelltes Strichmännchen neben dem Schriftzug Migrationsberatung für erwachsene Zuwanderer


Do you have any questions? Please contact us!

Service Center

From Monday to Friday
09:00 a.m. to 03:00 p.m.

Telephone: +49 911 943-0
to contact form

Contacts and addresses

© 2019 Copyright by Federal Office for Migration and Refugees. All rights reserved.