The range of culture in Germany has developed over hundreds of years.
Germany's federal structure and the independence of the Länder in cultural matters results in a very diverse cultural scene.
Often towns and communities are the organisers, for example, of town festivals or arts festivals. They also finance or support local cultural centres and facilities such as libraries, museums and theatres.
Cultural facilities in Germany – a few figures
In Germany there are:
- 6,200 museums (of which 630 are art galleries),
- 820 theatrical venues (including musical theatres and opera houses),
- 130 professional orchestras,
- 8,800 libraries,
- 94,300 new publications or new editions of books each year,
37 places of cultural and natural interest under the protection of the UNESCO world heritage scheme.
display as hint: Tip
Find out about cultural events from:
- advertising hoardings,
- newspapers and magazines,